Once we explore essential oils and learn that they can safely be used with children, we may wonder how to introduce them to our little ones. We want the process to be gradual and enjoyable so that our kiddos don't get overwhelmed by this new experience. Diffusing or other forms of aromatherapy can be added to playtime and activity routines to help maintain positive emotions and good energy. Adding essential oils to products we use during bathtime and personal care can help to introduce kids to topical use in a gentle way. All of the following topical recipes have been formulated with kid-safe essential oils and a Dilution Rate of 1% or less. This makes the recipes suitable for children 6 YEARS and older. Be sure to do a patch test with each essential oil before using them topically. Recipes for diffusing and inhaling use essential oils safe for children 6 MONTHS and older.
Read Are Essential Oils Safe for Kids? for more tips on how to safely use essential oils for children.
Here are a few ways to help children enjoy essential oils…
Joyful Expression Diffuser Blend (6+ months)
- 3 drops of Grapefruit Essential Oil
- 3 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- 2 drops of Spearmint Essential Oil
- 2 drops of Geranium Essential Oil
Add water to your diffuser up to the fill line. Add drops of the essential oil blend. This diffuser blend recipe is formulated for a 200ml ultrasonic diffuser. Adjust the amount according to the size and directions of your diffuser.
Quick Calm Roll-On (6+ years)
- 10 ml Amber Glass Roll-On Bottle
- 10 ml of Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 2 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
Add the essential oils to the bottle. Fill the rest of the bottle to the top with fractionated coconut oil. Replace the rollerball and cap and gently shake to combine. Roll across the wrists.
Fizzy Flowers Bath Bomb (6+ years)
- Witch Hazel in a Misting Spray Bottle
- Hard Plastic or Metal Flower Molds
- 2 cups of Citric Acid
- 4 cups of Baking Soda
- 2 oz of Sweet Almond Oil
- 15 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Cedarwood Essential Oil
- 5 drops of Jasmine Absolute
Combine all the citric acid, baking soda, sweet almond oil, and essential oil blend in a bowl and mix well using gloved hands. Spritz a small amount of witch hazel onto the top of the powder mixture and stir it in. Repeat this process until the mixture packs together easily with a similar texture to wet sand. Scoop the mixture into each mold one at a time and pack them down tightly. Allow them to dry for at least 24 hours. Store them in an airtight container.
My Own Little Sanctuary Room Spray (6+ months)
- 8oz Amber Glass Bottle with Spray Top
- 4 oz of Distilled Water
- 4 oz of White Vinegar
- 20 drops of Bergamot Essential Oil
- 20 drops of Clary Sage Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Lavandin Essential Oil
Mix all ingredients inside a 4oz glass bottle with a spray or mister top. Shake well to combine thoroughly and again before each use. Spray all around the room or home. Do not spray on children's bed.
Cloud Fluff Body Butter (6+ years)
- 2 oz of Cocoa Butter Wafers
- 2 oz Unrefined Shea Butter
- 2 oz of Sweet Almond Oil
- 1 oz of Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 20 drops of Chamomile Essential Oil
- 12 drops of Frankincense Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
Heat cocoa butter and shea butter on a double boiler, stirring intermittently until fully melted. Remove from heat and thoroughly mix in the sweet almond oil, fractionated coconut oil, and essential oils. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes or until it begins to firm but is not completely hardened. Once chilled, use a hand mixer to mix until you get a fluffy whipped consistency. If the mixture is too soft or isn't whipping, place it back in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and whip again. Scoop into airtight jars and use them on the whole family.
Squeaky Clean Foaming Hand Soap (6+ years)
- 16oz Foaming Soap Dispenser
- 6 oz of Unscented Liquid Castile Soap
- 8 oz of Distilled Water
- 1 tbsp of Sweet Almond Oil
- 1 tbsp of Vegetable Glycerine
- 20 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
- 20 drops of Sweet Orange Essential Oil
- 8 drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil
Add all ingredients to the foaming soap dispenser, replace the top, and shake well to combine.