With hectic lives and obligations pulling our focus and energy in so many directions, it is far too easy to let our own mental health suffer. Whether it’s just an emotional slump, a temporary circumstance, longer term anxiety or depression, essential oils can be a powerful tool to help us deal with symptoms and feel better. There are many essential oils that are known for their mood boosting and calming properties, making them great for helping with symptoms of anxiety and depression. They can also help to deal with hormonal imbalances in the body which may be the root cause of these issues for some people. Aromatherapy is one of the most popular ways to use essential oils as a natural remedy for improving mental health. Inhaling the scent of essential oils can improve our well-being by stimulating the smell receptors in our noses. In turn that sends messages to our nervous system as well as having effects on the body’s chemical and energy systems.
Lavender is a go to oil for many essential oil users because of its wide range of uses and its soothing floral scent but did you know that it has powerful mood enhancing and anxiety reducing effects that make it arguably the most popular essential oil for aromatherapy. The relaxing experience many users find with lavender essential oil has led to its therapeutic use in aromatherapy to help relieve mild anxiety. Lavender essential oil may also be used to help ease symptoms of long term anxiety such as headaches, nervousness and or restlessness.
The mood boosting power of lavender also makes it useful for combating depression and its related symptoms. Lavender aromatherapy has the ability to enhance mood while also decreasing mood swings, helping you to feel more emotionally uplifted and balanced. Studies have shown that diffusing lavender essential oil can result in a reduction of overall symptoms in those suffering from postnatal depression as well as decreasing depressive episodes resulting from PTSD.
Hormone imbalance is an issue that can lead to a variety of physical and mental health symptoms. Lavender essential oil may help to balance the levels of certain hormones and allow your body to function properly. Studies have shown that lavender aromatherapy can reduce the amount of cortisol released by the body. Cortisol plays a central role in how the body responds to stress and overproduction can lead to the constant feeling of stress and contribute to both anxiety and depression. Lavender helps to balance cortisol level and allow your body to respond to situations more appropriately.
Here are a few ways you can use lavender essential oil for improved mental health. Each essential oil is different and some are more potent than others. These recipes are formulated within safe usage rates for each essential oil but you may wish to adjust amounts for your needs and preferences. Be sure to do a patch test when using essential oils topically for the first time and discontinue use if irritation occurs.
Tranquil Home Diffuser Blend
Your home should be your sanctuary away from things that may trigger anxiety and a place that you can relax and enjoy quality time. Diffusing anxiety easing essential oils such as lavender helps you to manifest that soothing energy in your space.
- 5 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 3 drops of Geranium essential oil
- 2 drops of Ylang Ylang essential oil
Add this blend to your favorite home diffuser. Diffuse this blend when you know you have a stressful day ahead to help you prepare for potential anxiety and to keep you grounded. Diffuse intermittently all day long to ensure your home is a place of peace and escape from the chaos of the world.
Anxiety Saver Roll-On Bottle
Situations that may cause anxiety can happen without warning and catch us off guard. These are times when we need anxiety easing tools to be portable for quick access and application. A roll-on bottle is a great way to have the healing effects of lavender on the go. This also allows you to enjoy both the aromatherapy and topical benefits of lavender essential oil in the moments when you need it most.
- 10ml Glass Amber Roll On Bottle
- 10ml of Fractionated Coconut oil
5 drops of Lavender essential oil
5 drops of Roman Chamomile essential oil
Add the essential oils to the bottle. Fill the rest of the bottle to the top with fractionated coconut oil. Replace the rollerball and cap, gently shake, and roll across your skin. Apply this blend to wrists and massage gently into temples when you feel anxious feelings rising to help avoid escalation.
Soothed and Uplifted Candle
Something as simple as lighting a candle and relaxing with the beautiful scent and flickering flame can work to improve your mood and soothe your mind. A candle scented with lavender and other mood balancing essential oils adds an extra boost of effectiveness to this self care ritual.
- 2 cups of soy wax flakes or pastilles
- 1 candle wick with a metal base
- 1 8oz heat safe container
- 1 wooden skewer or chopstick
- 1 clothespin
- 40 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 30 drops of Grapefruit essential oil
- 20 drops of Ylang Ylang essential oil
- 10 drops of Vanilla Fragrance oil
- Mix the fragrance oil and essential oils in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add soy wax to a double boiler and heat until fully melted, stirring throughout.
- Turn off the heat and dip the metal end of the wick into the wax. Press the end in the center of the bottom of the container. Hold while the wax hardens to secure the wick.
- Straighten the wick and secure it at the mouth of the container with a clothespin resting on the top.
- Slowly pour the wax into the container. Add the fragrance blend to the wax and, using the skewer or chopstick, gently stir the fragrance blend into the wax.
- Let the candle sit for 24 hours, until fully set. Once set, remove the clothespin and trim the wick to 1 inch.
Depression Lifter Room Spray
Battling depression can include some especially difficult days that make you just want to curl up on the couch and do nothing at all. Dispersing lavender and other mood enhancing essential oils around your home can work to lift your spirits and help you have a more productive day.
- 4oz Amber Glass Bottle with Spray Top
- 2oz of High Percentage Alcohol
- 2oz Witch Hazel Extract
- 15 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 10 drops of Grapefruit essential oil
- 5 drops of Sandalwood essential oil
- 5 drops of Lime essential oil
Add 2oz of a high percentage alcohol to the bottle. Add the essential oils and fill the remainder of the bottle with witch hazel, leaving a little space at the top. Shake well before each use. Spray all around your home when you're feeling down and you need a little extra help lifting your spirits.
Hormone Balancing Massage Oil
Sometimes fatigue, irritability, or other uncomfortable signs can let us know that our hormones might be out of balance. A gentle massage with lavender and other hormone supporting essential oils can help diminish those feelings and get your mind and body aligned.
- 4oz Amber Glass Bottle
- 3oz of Sweet Almond oil
- 30 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 20 drops of Clary Sage essential oil
- 10 drops of Lemongrass essential oil
- 10 drops of Geranium essential oil
Add all ingredients to the bottle and shake well to combine. Add a small amount to hands and gently massage abdomen, shoulders, or back. Allow to soothing motions of the massage and the verdant floral aroma to help combat those hormonal fluctuations and ease your discomfort.