Diffusing essential oils is growing in popularity, mostly due to all of the amazing health benefits we can receive by inhaling different oils. Our sense of smell is strong and deeply connected to our overall health. The human body has over 1,000 receptors for smell, more than any other one of our senses. When we diffuse essential oils we are inhaling their aromatic molecules. These molecules then proceed to the top of the nose into the olfactory cells. The small hairs on these cells can recognize specific aromas and produce nerve impulses that are sent to the limbic system, which is the part of our brain that controls our emotions, memory, hormone balance, heart rate, blood pressure, and breathing. Scientists believe that this process can change brain chemistry, affecting our moods and providing subtle holistic benefits to the body.
The Benefits of Diffusing Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender has been used throughout history for its calming effects on the human psyche. A common treatment for stress, insomnia, and anxiety, this oil is a strong tool for almost any ailment. Lavender Essential Oil is one of the safest oils to use for children. Learn more about using Lavender Essential Oil for kids here.
Lavender Essential Oil Aromatic Benefits
- Fight insomnia, induce sleep and maintain a deep rest.
- Relax and unwind
- Relieve symptoms related to anxiety and stress
- Increase brain activity, improving focus and memory through neuroprotective properties.
- Improve mood by combatting symptoms of depression and hormonal imbalances.
- Prevent the growth of fungus and bacteria and the spread of viruses by purifying the air.
- Alleviate cold, flu, and allergy symptoms by easing congestion through antibacterial properties.
- Soothe headaches and migraines by inducing relaxation and removing tension.
- Deodorize and purify rooms in the home
- Activate feelings of romance by easing tension and creating a relaxing mood.
Using the Correct Amount of Drops in Your Diffuser
Below are the guidelines for using an ultrasonic essential oil diffuser. Each essential oil is different and some are more potent than others. It’s best to start with a smaller number of drops and work your way up depending on your preference.
Lavender Essential Oil Diffuser Blends
These simple diffuser blends are a great way to get you started and guide you through using Lavender essential oil and how it will best work for you. Each blend is based off of a 200ml Ultrasonic Diffuser. If you are using a different size please refer to the chart above and adjust your essential oil drops accordingly.
It’s important to follow some safety practices when diffusing essential oils. Remember that these are potent, concentrated oils that can cause harm if not handled correctly.
- Do not continuously diffuse essential oils. They are highly concentrated and unceasing diffusing can lead to a range of complications.
- Become familiar with each essential oil you plan to use. Research and review common safety practices for each unique essential oil.
- Always diffuse in a well ventilated area.
- Do not diffuse more essential oils than what is recommended. A little goes a long way.
- Follow the specific instructions that come with your diffuser.
- If you have pets keep the diffuser away from them while it’s in use and make sure they are able to leave the area if they want to.
- Diffuse intermittently. It’s recommended to do 30-60mins on and 30-60mins off. This way the olfactory senses are not overwhelmed and a tolerance is not built against the benefits of the essential oils
- Do not use a diffuser in a public place, such as an office or a classroom. Each person has different reactions to essential oils and may even have health conditions that can put their well-being at risk when exposed to specific oils. For public places we recommend using a personal diffuser, like the Aroma Companion.
- Clean your diffuser regularly.
Cleaning Your Diffuser
The oils we diffuse keep our diffusers safe from bacteria but they can cause a build up in residue that will decrease the longevity and functionality of our devices. After each use make sure to wipe your diffuser down using our simple DIY Diffuser Spray below. We also recommend a deep clean once a month. To do this just fill your diffuser to the fill line with half water and half white vinegar then run it for 10 minutes. Empty it and wipe it out. Super easy! Make sure to empty any liquid left inside when you’re not using your diffuser to avoid any mold or mildew from growing.
DIY Diffuser Spray:
- 4 oz Glass spray bottle
- 50 ml White Vinegar
- 50 ml Distilled Water
- 20 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
Other Ways to Diffuse Essential Oils
Using an ultrasonic diffuser is one of the more common ways to diffuse essential oils. An ultrasonic diffuser uses electricity to break essential oils down to their base molecules and then disperse them into the air. The oil sits on top of the water and ultrasonic vibrations agitate the water causing the oils to separate into a fine mist.
There are plenty of other ways to diffuse essential oils. The two other most common ways you can reap the same benefits is through using a nebulizing diffuser and passive diffusing.
This type of diffuser does not rely on any other elements to diffuse the essential oils. It uses an atomizer to produce fine, airborne particles of essential oils in the air.
Passive diffusing uses natural evaporation of essential oils. This is a very simple way of diffusing and there are a lot of different ways it can be done. Placing drops of essential oils on cotton balls, a porous stone, an essential oil inhaler, an Aroma Companion, toilet paper roll, filters, etc. The sky's the limit!