Pink Sand Beaches: Softening Pink Salt Soap
After hours spent out on the beach, a nice shower can help to wash away the salt, sand, and sweat of the day and leave us feeling refreshed for the adventures to come. The addition of salt to this soap helps create a dense creamy lather and allows for a high coconut oil content. Jojoba oil and shea butter moisturize sun-baked skin while the soap cleanses. Fine-grain pink sea salt also gently exfoliates the skin to combat dryness caused by time spent in the sand and salt water. Sea Salt & Freesia Fragrance Oil and Cucumber Fragrance Oil come together to create a fresh and summery aroma reminiscent of sitting on the beach with our toes in the sand.
- 24 Individual Square Bar Soap Molds
- 48 oz of Coconut Oil
- 6 oz of Olive Oil
- 3 oz of Jojoba Oil
- 3 oz of Shea Butter
- 21.6 oz of Distilled Water
- 9.6 oz of Sodium Hydroxide Lye
- 3 oz of Sea Salt & Freesia Fragrance Oil
- 1 oz of Cucumber Fragrance Oil
- 30 oz of Fine Grain Pink Sea Salt
- 2-3 oz of Coarse Grain Pink Sea Salt
- Weigh and combine the fragrance oils, then set them aside.
- Weigh each base oil and combine them in a large bowl. Place the bowl on top of a large pot about ⅓ full of water. Bring the water to a boil. Heat the oils until fully melted and blended, stirring occasionally.
- While the oils are melting, weigh out the lye and water in two separate bowls. Slowly add the lye to the water while gently stirring until the lye is fully dissolved and the liquid is clear.
- Let the oils and lye mixture both cool to 120 degrees or below, ensuring that they are within 10 degrees of each other.
- Place the immersion blender into the oils, tapping it on the bottom of the bowl to release any air bubbles.
- Slowly and gently pour the lye water into your oil mixture. You can pour down the side of the bowl or down the shaft of the immersion blender to reduce the chance of splashing.
- Pulse the blender a few times, watching as the oils and lye start to combine. Switch between short pulses and stirring with the blender until the mixture comes together to a very light trace.
- Working quickly, stir (do not blend) in the fragrance oil blend. Add fine-grain pink sea salt and stir again to combine.
- Once the soap reaches about a medium trace, pour it into each cavity of the mold, scraping the bowl to ensure no soap is left behind. Tap the molds on the table or counter to release any trapped air bubbles.
- Generously sprinkle the coarse-grain pink salt across the top of the bars.
- Cover the molds and allow the soap to sit in the molds for about a week at room temperature. Unmold soap and allow to cure for 4-6 weeks.
You may also enjoy...